Saturday, August 28, 2021

Introduction: An offering

COVID-19, a.k.a. Coronavirus, began its direct impact on my life on December 18th, 2020. Prior to that day, I suspect that I thought about Coronavirus the way many people did. No one known to me had been seriously affected by it, and those who had contracted the virus felt bad for a few weeks before returning to their usual lives. The horrors of the pandemic seemed...distant. Like a storm on the horizon, it was something to keep an eye on but too far away to be of any real concern. 

While I wore my mask, washed my hands, wiped down with disinfectant whenever I thought about it and limited my outdoor activities to only what was necessary, it was all beginning to feel like overkill. Through articles and news stories we were informed about how COVID-19 was affecting some people, and how the rest of the world was responding to it. There was so much misinformation that the gravity of the situation was lost on many of us. 

In the absence of truth, fiction reigns supreme. The resulting conspiracy theories showcased our citizens' blatant distrust of our leaders' willingness to tell the truth. Uncertain about the future and concerned about the present, many looked to the past for answers. Considering the country's previous actions in the handling of Syphilis, HIV/AIDS and even Ebola, some conspiracy theories no longer seemed that far fetched. 

When only a minority seems to be affected, the seriousness of the response seems muted. It is as if the human component is diminished when the affected are only the old, poor, gay or brown. While this may not be the absolute truth, when looking to our past, the tales tell us to be wary and to question more. 

Not an overly curious person by nature, I do not question much. I offer. I expect that other people will offer in return. I am often disappointed. Regardless, that is the purpose of this blog. To offer my experiences with COVID-19. To tell my truth...

No comments:

Post a Comment

March madness

The first week of March started off like any other in the pandemic. We went to work, we came home. Restaurants were beginning to open up, in...